Ancient Greek literature is some of the world’s oldest literature, providing us with an intimate insight into the life and culture of the ancient Greeks Ancient Greek literature spans a wide range of genres and forms, including myth, drama, epic poetry, and philosophical poetry. Academic writing about Ancient Greek literature often takes the form of a thesis, in which the author takes a position on a particular topic within the scope of Ancient Greek literature, often one of the major works or authors. Below are five interesting essay topics within the scope of Ancient Greek Literature to consider for your thesis.
1. Homeric Epic and its Influence on Post-Hellenic Literature: This topic can be explored through an analysis of Homer’s two great epics, the Iliad and the Odyssey, as well as their lasting impact on later works of literature throughout the ages. The focus of the essay could be to discuss how Homeric epic, in both its content and form, has influenced the works of writers from other ancient cultures, such as the Romans and the Egyptians, as well as more modern authors, such as J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis.
2. Sophocles’ Antigone as a Reflection of Ancient Greek Society: This topic can be explored through a close examination of Sophocles’ classic tragedy, Antigone. By analyzing the characters and plot of this work, the essay can focus on how Sophocles’ Antigone offers a unique insight into the values and customs of Ancient Greek society, including gender roles, patriotism, and religious beliefs.
3. Plato and Aristotle’s Contribution to Western Philosophical Thought: This essay topic gives the opportunity to explore Plato and Aristotle’s impact on Western philosophical thought. The focus of the essay can be to discuss how Plato and Aristotle’s respective works, including The Republic, The Laws, The Nicomachean Ethics, and The Politics, shaped the development of Western philosophy and paved the way for modern thinking.
4. Deconstructing the Mythology of Apollo: This essay topic allows for a close exploration of the Greek god Apollo, a major figure in both mythology and Ancient Greek literature. This essay can focus on how Apollo is depicted in literature and art, as well as discuss the various roles and interpretations of the god in different contexts.
5. Thucydides’s Influence on Modern Historiography: This essay topic gives the chance to analyze how the writings of Thucydides, a prominent historian from Ancient Greece, have shaped the development of modern historiography. The essay can focus on how Thucydides’ method of history writing, which combined facts and personal observations, has had a lasting impact on historians today.