Children's literature is a genre of literature written especially for readers aged 0-18, which includes picture books, novels, poetry and other works In recent decades, children's literature has gained increased attention and scholarship from academics and professionals, both for its cultural and historical importance, as well as its potential for teaching and equipping the next generation with critical skills for their lives.
One way to explore the wide range of topics and themes within children's literature is by writing a thesis. An interesting essay topic could be exploring the differences between traditional children's literature stories and more modern stories, the effect of certain illustrations styles on child readers, or the issues of political correctness and censorship in modern children's literature. Here are five examples of interesting essay topics within the field of children's literature.
1. Exploring the Role of Gender in Fairy Tales: This essay could investigate how traditional fairy tales depict strong female and male characters, and how this changes when adapted for modern audiences.
2. Examining the Cultural Elements of Children's Picture Books: This essay could look at how different cultures are depicted in children's picture books, and how these depictions can shape young children's understanding of different cultures.
3. Analyzing the Effects of Humor in Children's Literature: This essay could examine the use of humor and its impact on young readers, and could compare different styles of humor used in different types of stories.
4. Investigating the Impact of a Character in a Literary Series: This essay could look at the journey of a single character in a children's book series, and investigate how their growth affects the overall story arc.
5. Examining the Role of Technology in Children's Literature: This essay could explore how the digital age has changed the way children interact with literature, and how technology has changed the ways stories are written and told.