Cooking oil is a type of edible oil that is used for cooking and is usually derived from plants Cooking oils are derived from a variety of sources such as, nuts, grains, and seeds, and each oil has its own unique characteristic in terms of flavor, aroma, and smoking point. The main purpose of using cooking oil is to improve the flavor of dishes, as well as to aid in the cooking process.
When selecting cooking oils, it is important to consider the different types of oils available, as there are considerable differences in their fat content and health benefits. For example, some have higher levels of monounsaturated fat, while others have more polyunsaturated fat. It is also important to consider the smoke point of the oil, which is the temperature at which the oil starts to smoke or break down.
The following are some of the best cooking oils to use when making savory dishes:
1. Extra-Virgin Olive Oil: This is one of the most popular types of cooking oil, due to its ability to remain stable at high temperatures and its rich flavor. Extra-virgin olive oil is a great addition to many dishes, including salads, pastas, and grilled vegetables.
2. Coconut Oil: This oil is derived from the flesh of the coconut and is rich in medium-chain fatty acids, which have been linked to health benefits. Coconut oil is a great choice for baking and sautéing, as it can withstand higher temperatures.
3. Avocado Oil: This oil is extracted from the pulp of avocados and is a great option for high-temperature cooking. It is also a good source of antioxidants and has a mild, nutty flavor.
4. Flaxseed Oil: This is a type of oil derived from flaxseeds, which is rich in omega-3 fatty acids. Flaxseed oil is a great option for salad dressings and is also known for its health benefits.
5. Sesame Oil: This is a type of oil derived from sesame seeds and is a great choice for adding flavor to dishes. It has a mild, nutty flavor that pairs well with Asian-style dishes.