Marine engineering is a field of engineering that focuses on creating, designing, and maintaining vessels, machines, and structures used in the marine environment This includes ships, barges, docks, offshore drilling rigs, and other structures that can withstand the rigors of a saltwater environment. Marine engineers play a vital role in helping to keep marine vessels, structures, and related infrastructure safe and operational.
One of the most important topics in marine engineering is safety. Marine engineering should always strive to ensure the safety of vessels and associated structures when operating in the marine environment. This includes understanding how weather conditions, sea state, and other factors can affect the performance of ships and other infrastructure. Marine engineers can also look at how best to maintain and repair ships, as well as understanding how to carry out maintenance on vessels and associated structures more safely.
Below are five of the best examples of topics in the field of marine engineering:
1. Maritime Regulation and Compliance: Understanding the regulations and standards that must be followed in order to ensure ships and other infrastructure are safe and operational.
2. Ship Design and Construction: Examining the various design choices that must be made in order to create a seaworthy vessel.
3. Marine Engineering Simulation: Utilizing computer simulations to accurately model the behavior of ships and other infrastructure under various environmental conditions.
4. Offshore Oil and Gas Engineering: Designing and constructing oil exploration platforms and other infrastructure for use in the offshore environment.
5. Shipyard Management and Maintenance: Looking at the best practices for ensuring the safety and performance of ships in the shipyard and when out at sea.