Engineering logistic supply support is a process that helps to manage operations in the supply chain, from acquisition to delivery of materials, components, and products It also assists in the reporting and auditing of logistic supply operations, helping to ensure a compliant, safe, and efficient operation. In general, it can be broken down into three distinct areas:
1. Pre-procurement: This involves the assessment of materials and components, selection of suppliers and vendors, and preparation of purchase orders. It also involves clarifying, negotiating, and settling terms and conditions of purchase.
2. Logistic support: This involves managing the movement of material and components. It covers the coordination and routing of shipments, transportation and insurance, as well as inventory and asset tracking.
3. Post-procurement: This involves the control and monitoring of inventories and the administration of contractual and financial obligations. This can include the management of vendor payment, scrap and replacement parts, and the return and reuse of recovered parts.
Examples of Engineering Logistic Supply Support
1. Automotive Manufacturing: Automotive suppliers must take into account such factors as lead times and availability of parts when planning for production. Engineering logistic support helps to monitor the transportation of components and optimize supply chains to ensure production is not delayed.
2. Aerospace Manufacturing: Logistic support helps to ensure the safe and efficient delivery of parts and products for aircraft and aerospace systems. This includes tracking shipments, dealing with customs, and keeping records of parts used in order to meet aircraft safety regulations.
3. Pharmaceutical Manufacturing: Logistic support helps to ensure that pharmaceutical ingredients and medicines are safely and securely delivered in a timely manner. Logistic support also helps to ensure compliance with relevant government regulations regarding tracking and monitoring of pharmaceuticals.
4. Construction Projects: Engineering logistic support plays an important role in the construction industry. It helps to ensure safety and efficiency by providing tracking and monitoring of materials and components used in construction projects.
5. Defense Procurement: Logistic support helps to ensure that military equipment and supplies are delivered in a timely and secure manner. This includes tracking and monitoring of shipments, dealing with customs, and managing the inventory of parts used in order to meet defense regulations.