A film and movie thesis is a writing assignment that requires students to create a persuasive argument based on the student’s personal interests, viewpoints, and opinions about a particular film or movie The student must use their writing skills to analyze the chosen film or movie, use secondary sources to further explain their argument, and present the thesis in a formal academic paper format.
There is a wide variety of topics one can explore in a film and movie thesis. In this article, we have highlighted five of the most interesting essay topic ideas.
1. A Comparison Of Two Film Adaptations: An analysis of two different film adaptations of the same book or stage play. This thesis should explore the techniques used in both film adaptations. How do they compare? What is unique to each film adaptation?
2. Cinematography and Special Effects: A description of the influence of cinematography and special effects on the viewers’ experience of the film. Students should focus on the particular aesthetic that the film directors had in mind when filming the movie and discuss how the cinematography and special effects made the film experience more effective.
3. The Representation Of Gender Roles In Movies: Here, the student needs to discuss how gender roles are portrayed in the film and how this affects the audience’s perception. Is there an unequal representation? How does this affect the movie experience?
4. The Significance Of Movie Scores: A discussion about the importance of the score within a film. How does the score affect the viewers’ experience? What kind of effect does it have on the viewers’ emotions?
5. The Representation Of Social Issues In Movies: An analysis of how social issues are addressed in particular movies. What is the filmmakers’ intention? Does it affect the viewers’ perception of the issue? How do different genres (drama, comedy, horror, etc.) affect the way these issues are presented?