Gun control is a controversial issue that has been debated for decades in the United States It centers around the regulations of firearms and the potential regulation of ammunition and other related equipment such as body armor. Proponents of gun control argue that the presence of firearms in society puts innocent people in danger and that tighter controls are necessary to prevent weapons from falling into the hands of criminals. Opponents of gun control argue that the Second Amendment grants individuals the right to bear arms and that any restrictions on gun ownership will infringe on this right.
Following are five intriguing debate topics related to gun control.
1. Should individuals be required to obtain a license or permit in order to purchase firearms?
2. Should the age of legal firearm ownership be raised to 25?
3. Should there be background checks for all firearm purchases?
4. Should “smart guns” with fingerprint recognition technology be required in order to purchase firearms?
5. Should Americans be allowed to own semi-automatic weapons?