Pearl Harbor was a surprise attack by the Japanese Navy against the United States naval base at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, on December 7th, 1941 The attack was carried out by 353 Japanese aircraft from six aircraft carriers which resulted in the deaths of over 2,400 U.S. servicemen and the destruction of over 180 aircraft. The attack on Pearl Harbor shocked the nation and led to the United States entry into World War II.
Essay Topic Ideas:
1. A discussion of the roles and responsibilities of the American and Japanese forces before, during, and after the attack on Pearl Harbor.
2. Analyze the immediate and long-term impact of the attack on Pearl Harbor on America’s role in World War II.
3. Examine the internal and external political forces that played a role in leading to the attack on Pearl Harbor.
4. Compare and contrast the reactions of the general public to the attack on Pearl Harbor in 1941 to its current legacy in the United States.
5. Research and discuss the various conspiracy theories surrounding the attack on Pearl Harbor and the possible motivations behind it.