Italian literature is a rich and varied tradition that has existed for centuries, encompassing many genres, including epic poems, prose, and drama It evolved out of Latin literature and took on its own characteristics, such as its emphasis on romance and its use of regional dialects. This traditional form of literature has been around since the Middle Ages and continues to be influential in the modern day.
If you’re studying Italian literature in college or university, you may be asked to write an essay on the topic. There are many interesting topics to choose from when it comes to Italian literature, so it’s important to narrow down your selection. Here are five examples of interesting Italian literature essays topics:
1. Dante’s Divine Comedy: A Study of his Writing Style and Themes. Dante is one of the most famous poets in Italian literature and his Divine Comedy is a classic example of Italian literature. This essay could involve discussing Dante’s writing style, themes, and symbolism in the work, as well as its place in the Italian literary tradition.
2. Machiavelli’s The Prince: Exploring the Theme of Power. Niccolò Machiavelli’s The Prince is a classic work of political philosophy that explores the nature of power and how it can be used to gain and maintain control. This essay could involve discussing Machiavelli’s ideas and their relevance to modern politics.
3. Boccaccio’s Decameron: Examining the Use of Metaphor and Symbolism. Giovanni Boccaccio’s Decameron is a collection of stories set in the time of the Black Death. This essay could focus on examining Boccaccio’s use of metaphor and symbolism, as well as its place within the Italian literary tradition.
4. Ariosto’s Orlando Furioso: An Exploration of Romance and Chivalry. Ludovico Ariosto’s Orlando Furioso is an epic poem about a knight’s quest for love. This essay could involve exploring themes of romance and chivalry within the poem, as well as its influence on later works of literature.
5. Pirandello’s Six Characters in Search of an Author: Examining the Role of Characters. Luigi Pirandello’s Six Characters in Search of an Author is a play that examines the idea of a character’s struggle to find purpose in a narrative. This essay could involve analyzing the role of characters in the play and its place within the Italian theatrical tradition.
There are many other interesting topics to consider when writing an essay about Italian literature. However, these five examples are a great place to start if you’re looking for an interesting and thought-provoking topic.