Lady Lazarus is a poem written by the American poet Sylvia Plath It was published in 1962 as part of a collection of her work titled Ariel. The poem is told from the point of view of a woman who speaks of the pain, sorrow, and rebirth that her life has gone through. The narrator speaks of her desire to transcend her suffering and to “die and be reborn.” It is a powerful poem that touches on themes of death, suicide, and renewal.
The five best essay topics related to Lady Lazarus include:
1. An analysis of the themes of death, suicide, and renewal in Lady Lazarus.
2. How does Plath use imagery to create a powerful and personal narrative in Lady Lazarus?
3. Is there a feminist message in Lady Lazarus?
4. Examine the role of allusion in Lady Lazarus.
5. Discuss the symbolic meaning of the Lazarus allusion in Lady Lazarus.