A literary comparison thesis is a type of essay that explores similarities and/or differences between two literary works This type of essay requires students to analyze literature and make connections between their observations and connections to other works of literature or to elements such as symbolism, plot, characters, themes and so on. Students are often required to analyze literature from a particular period, genre, or author as part of a course assignment.
Writing a literary comparison thesis can be a challenging task, but a some great essay topic ideas can help get the creative juices flowing. Here are five great essay topic ideas that can help you craft an engaging and insightful paper:
1. Compare the protagonists of two works of literature. Choose two works of literature from the same period, genre, or author and compare their main characters, exploring the similarities and differences between them.
2. Contrast the themes of two works of literature. Identify the main themes in two works of literature and analyze how they are presented and explored in each work.
3. Compare and contrast the stylistic elements of two pieces of literature. Consider the use of imagery, tone, language, etc. in two works of literature and explain how they are used to explore the theme(s) of each work.
4. Analyze the symbolism of two works of literature. Look at how the symbols in two works of literature work to further the themes of the works.
5. Compare the settings of two works of literature. Look at how the different settings are used to enhance and explore the themes of each work.
No matter which topic you choose, literary comparison thesis offer great opportunities for students to explore literature and form their own interpretations. With careful planning and critical thinking, any of the above topics can be used to create an engaging essay.