What is Mental Health?
Mental health refers to a person’s overall emotional, psychological, and social wellbeing It includes our ability to think, feel, and interact with others, as well as our ability to manage stress and make healthy choices. Mental health is a critical component of our overall health, and if it’s not taken care of, it can have a significant impact on our overall quality of life.
Mental health should be a priority in schools because it can have a direct effect on a student’s academic performance, their ability to learn, and their emotional wellbeing. When students’ mental health needs are met, they experience increased engagement and academic success.
Here are the five best examples for why mental health should be a priority in schools:
1. Improved Classroom Environment: When mental health is a priority, schools are better able to create an environment that is supportive and inclusive. This allows students to feel more supported and can help reduce depression, anxiety, and other mental health issues.
2. Enhanced Student Engagement & Wellbeing: Mental health needs are often overlooked in the classroom. When mental health is a priority, student engagement increases, which leads to improved academic results. Additionally, it helps to create a safe and supportive learning environment.
3. Decreased Conflict & Disciplinary Issues: When mental health is a priority, students are better equipped to handle stress and difficult situations, which can reduce conflicts, bullying, and other behavior issues.
4. Improved Bonding & Relationships: When mental health is a priority, there is a greater sense of connection and trust between teachers and students. This creates a better working relationship and can also enhance a student’s overall academic performance.
5. Access to Mental Health Resources: By making mental health a priority, schools are better able to identify students who are at risk of developing mental health issues and provide resources to help them cope. This can help to prevent the onset of mental health issues and help students become more resilient.
Mental health should be a priority in schools because it can have a significant impact on students’ physical, emotional, and psychological wellbeing. By creating an environment that is supportive, inclusive, and safe, schools can ensure that students have the best possible chance of succeeding academically and personally.