Old English literature and poetry is a term used to refer to the literature and poetry written in England between the mid-5th century and the mid-12th century, during the time of the Old English language It is notable for being the oldest surviving literature in the English language. Old English literature and poetry was largely written in the same language as present-day English, with some additional influences from Latin, Norse, and French.
The most famous works of Old English literature and poetry are Beowulf, a long epic poem about a Scandinavian hero, and the Exeter Book, a collection of religious poems. Other works from this period include King Alfred’s Boethius, an adaptation of the Latin book of the same name, and Bede’s Ecclesiastical History of the English People, a text that gives details about the Christianization of England.
In terms of Old English literature and poetry topics, here are five of the best essay ideas:
1. An analysis of the themes and motifs found in Beowulf.
2. A comparison of King Alfred’s Boethius to the original Latin version.
3. An examination of the Old English language’s influence on modern English.
4. An analysis of how religious themes are woven into the Exeter Book.
5. A comparison of the heroic code of conduct seen in Beowulf to modern culture.