The President of the United States is the head of the executive branch of the federal government and the country’s most powerful political figure This high-ranking office is a coveted and privileged one, as it provides an opportunity to shape the future of the nation. Presidents are the leaders of their parties, the public faces of their administrations, and the voices of their countries. They make decisions on a wide range of domestic and international issues while representing their nation in negotiations with other world leaders.
The following are some of the five best examples of Presidents of the United States from the past, present and future:
1. George Washington (1789-1797): George Washington was the first President of the United States, bringing the fledgling nation out of the American Revolution and laying the foundations for the new government. He strengthened the powers of the presidency, declared American neutrality in foreign affairs, and created the Cabinet.
2. Abraham Lincoln (1861-1865): Abraham Lincoln was the 16th President of the United States and perhaps the greatest leader of the Civil War era. He abolished slavery, preserved the Union, and promoted democracy—which has made him one of the most celebrated presidents in American history.
3. Franklin D. Roosevelt (1933-1945): Franklin D. Roosevelt served as the longest-serving president of the United States, presiding over the Great Depression, World War II, and the formation of the modern welfare state. He implemented key reforms that included Social Security, the National Labor Relations Act, and the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation.
4. Donald J. Trump (2017-2021): Donald J. Trump became the 45th President of the United States in 2017. With an unconventional style of leadership, he has pursued a “America First” agenda, favoring economic nationalism, strong borders, and deregulation.
5. Kamala Harris (2021-Present): Kamala Harris will be the first female and African-American President of the United States when she takes office in 2021. As California’s first female attorney general, Harris has championed civil rights and social justice. She is committed to raising the minimum wage, combating climate change, and expanding access to quality, affordable health care.