Sherlock Holmes is a fictional detective created by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle in the late 19th century He is considered to be the greatest and most famous detective of all time. Holmes has made appearances in four novel series and several short stories, as well as in various film and television adaptations. His most famous cases include ‘The Speckled Band’, ‘The Red-Headed League’ and ‘The Final Problem’, amongst many others.
Sherlock Holmes is known for his use of forensic science, superior intellect and powers of observation and deduction. He is also renowned for his use of disguises, his ingenious use of disguises and his ability to solve mysteries that confound even the greatest of minds. Sherlock Holmes is also known for his friendship with Dr. Watson, and the two are inseparable in many cases.
When it comes to writing an essay about Sherlock Holmes, there are endless possibilities for topics. Here are five of the best essay topics for students to explore:
1. The Influence of Sherlock Holmes on Modern Day Crime-Solving: Discuss how the character of Sherlock Holmes has had a lasting impact on the detective genre, as well as how his methods and techniques are still used in modern-day crime-solving.
2. The Significance of Sherlock Holmes’ Friendship with Dr. Watson: Take a look at the importance of the friendship between Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson and explore how their relationship has influenced the development of their characters.
3. A Hypothetical ‘Sherlock Holmes’ case: Take a look at the various elements of a classic Sherlock Holmes mystery, and then, go on to explore a hypothetical mystery of your own.
4. The Impact of Sherlock Holmes’ Adaptations: Discuss the various adaptations of the Sherlock Holmes character and explore the impact they have had on its development.
5. Gender Bias in Sherlock Holmes Adaptations: Analyse the various adaptations of the Sherlock Holmes character and examine how they have portrayed gender roles in their portrayals.
These are just a few of the many essay topics that students can choose from when writing about the iconic fictional detective, Sherlock Holmes. Whatever topic a student chooses, it should be sure to thoughtfully consider the character’s significance to the detective genre and the impact he has had on modern-day crime solving.