The Hobbit is a novel written by JR.R. Tolkien and first published in 1937. It tells the story of a homely hobbit named Bilbo Baggins and his unlikely and adventurous journey to the Lonely Mountain. Along the way, he is joined by thirteen dwarves and the ever-dangerous and powerful wizard, Gandalf. Throughout the journey, Bilbo and his companions experience many exciting and frightening adventures, as they face danger and mystery on the quest to help the dwarves reclaim the wealth that was stolen from them.
The Hobbit can serve as an inspiration for many interesting essay topics. Here are five ideas that could help you explore different aspects of Bilbo’s journey, and the important lessons he learns along the way.
1. Exploring the Theme of Courage in “The Hobbit”: An essay on how Bilbo is able to overcome his fears and act courageously in spite of external danger.
2. The Role of Fate and Luck in “The Hobbit”: Examining how fate and luck both play a part in determining the outcome of Bilbo’s adventures.
3. An Analysis of the Parent-Child Relationship in “The Hobbit”: An essay exploring the idea of bilbo as a father figure to the dwarves, and the role his parenting plays in their success on their quest.
4. A Study of the Symbols and Archetypes in “The Hobbit”: Discussing the different symbols and archetypes present in the novel and what they may symbolize.
5. The Power of Friendship in “The Hobbit”: Analyzing the significance of the strong friendships between Bilbo and his companions, and how they help him throughout his journey.