A country doctor essay is a term used to describe a type of literature that explores the rural experience Country doctor literature focuses on a variety of themes related to rural living including simple living, the beauty of nature, local communities, traditions, health and wellbeing, and medicine. These stories often feature a country doctor as the protagonist; one who is an expert in tradition medicine and herbal remedies, as well as an insightful commentator on rural life.
The following five examples of country doctor essays exemplify the genre’s themes and narrative style:
1. “A Country Doctor” by Walt Whitman: This classic essay by the American poet is often cited as the first great piece of country doctor literature. It tells the story of a country doctor who travels to a small village to treat a sickly family. Through this story, Whitman explores the idea of finding strength in adversity, as well as the power of natural remedies.
2. “The Country Doctor” by Fyodor Dostoevsky: This short story from The Brothers Karamazov follows the story of a poor village doctor who tends to the sick and dying in his remote corner of the world. Through this story, Dostoevsky captures the beauty of the rural life, as well as the challenge of treating the sick in difficult circumstances.
3. “The Country Doctor” by Earnest Hemingway: This essay follows the story of a rural doctor and his struggles to balance nature and modern medicine. Through Hemingway’s vivid prose, readers are taken on a journey of a country doctor and his attempts to provide the best possible care to his patients.
4. “My Country Doctor” by William Carlos Williams: This essay tells the story of a country doctor and his life in a small rural village. Williams reflects on the beauty of rural life, as well as the challenges of providing medical care in a place with limited resources.
5. “A Country Doctor” by Sinclair Lewis: This short story recounts the story of a rural doctor and his struggles to heal the people and animals in his small town. Through vivid imagery, Lewis captures the challenges and rewards of country doctoring and the power of nature as a healing force.