A Streetcar Named Desire is a classic play written by Tennessee Williams in 1947 The story is centered on Blanche DuBois, a Southern belle who moves to New Orleans to stay with her sister, Stella, and her brother-in-law, Stanley. Blanche’s longing for a better life quickly clashes with Stanley’s brash, working-class demeanor. The play follows Blanche’s struggle to retain her sense of self and maintain her dignity in the face of Stanley’s harshness and Stella’s survivalist attitude.
Essay topics for A Streetcar Named Desire can range from analysis of the play’s themes to character studies. Here are five of the best essay topics related to this classic play:
1. How does Blanche’s behavior in A Streetcar Named Desire reflect the social attitudes of the time period?
2. Analyze the use of setting and atmosphere in the play.
3. Compare and contrast Blanche and Stella’s relationships with Stanley.
4. Discuss the role of gender and sexuality in A Streetcar Named Desire.
5. How do the characters of A Streetcar Named Desire use lies and deceit to their advantage?