A documentary film thesis is a research-based, academic project that requires one to make a documentary film of their own It allows formal education to cross over to the creative realm of documentary filmmaking. The thesis must critically examine a specific topic, and involve creative exploration of the subject. It generally requires intensive research, critical analysis, and reflection of the findings in the documentary film.
Examples of interesting documentary film thesis topics are:
1. Exploring the effects of social media on intimacy and relationships
2. Investigating the impact of poverty on educational opportunities
3. Examining the divide in healthcare that exists between rural and urban areas
4. Analyzing the systemic racism embedded in modern policing practices
5. Looking at the nuances of gender identity and how it is portrayed in pop culture