Game design is the process of designing and developing video games Whether creating a strategy game or a first-person shooter, game designers must use a variety of skills and techniques to bring their vision to life. Many colleges and universities offer programs that teach students the fundamentals of video game design as well as how to develop unique and innovative titles. These programs often require students to complete a thesis project that demonstrates their understanding of the game design process.
An interesting game design thesis topic should challenge a student to think outside the box and consider unconventional approaches to the design process. The following five topics are a few examples of interesting game design thesis topics:
1. Applying Machine Learning Algorithms and Generative Adversarial Networks to Video Game Design: Game design is changing rapidly with the introduction of machine learning algorithms and generative adversarial networks. This thesis project looks to explore how these technologies can be applied to game design, with the goal of creating more engaging and immersive game experiences.
2. Augmented Reality Gaming Experiences: Augmented reality (AR) gaming experiences are becoming increasingly popular, as device and software technology allows for more immersive and interactive experiences. This thesis topic looks to explore the potential of the AR gaming experience, and the ways in which it might evolve in the coming years.
3. Interfacing Video Games with Wearable Technology: Wearable technology is becoming more popular, with a number of companies producing devices that allow for tracking body movement as well as health information. This thesis project looks to explore how these devices can be used in video games, with the goal of creating new and interesting gameplay experiences.
4. Emotional Response Systems in Video Games: Research has shown that the emotional response of a player to a game can have a lasting effect on their overall experience. This thesis project looks to explore how emotional response systems can be used in video games to create more engaging and meaningful experiences.
5. Augmented Reality Gaming Experiences in Educational Settings: Augmented reality gaming experiences can be used to engage students in the classroom and introduce them to concepts in a more immersive and interactive way. This thesis project looks to explore how AR gaming experiences can be used to supplement and enhance a student’s educational experience.
A game design thesis should challenge the student to think critically about the design process and the creative potential of video games. These five thesis topics provide interesting and innovative ideas that can help students explore the potential of game design.