A horror movie poster is a visual representation of a horror film, typically with the movie name, tagline, and iconic image The purpose of a horror movie poster is to promote the horror film and draw viewers in with a captivating image and text.
Drawing on a long tradition of horror film posters, modern horror movie posters are unique in their use of imagery and typography to set the tone and mood of a movie. These posters often rely on tropes and symbols, such as the silhouette of a creature, an ominous sky, or a character with a sinister expression, to give viewers a sense of what to expect.
The following are five examples of horror movie posters that exemplify the best of the genre.
1. “The Silence of the Lambs” (1991)- This iconic poster features a close-up of serial killer Hannibal Lecter’s (Anthony Hopkins) face, giving viewers a sense of the film’s intense atmosphere and suspense. The poster’s tagline, “We’re going to have some fun now”, hints at the dark humor of the movie.
2. “The Texas Chainsaw Massacre” (1974) – This notorious poster features a pair of overall-clad hands holding a bloody chainsaw. The red lettering and the suggestion of horror in the tagline “Who will survive and what will be left of them?” add to the sinister mood of the poster.
3. “Halloween” (1978) – This poster features a simple image of the masked killer Michael Myers, his arm raised at an uncomfortable angle. The orange text and the tagline “The night HE came home” create a sense of dread and fear in viewers.
4. “The Ring” (2002) – This poster features an unsettling image of a girl’s face surrounded by the eerie static of a video cassette. The text “Before you die, you see” both encapsulates the concept of the movie and adds a layer of mystery and creepiness.
5. “The Exorcist” (1973) – This famous poster features a close-up of Father Merrin (Max von Sydow) and the demonic Regan (Linda Blair). The poster invokes a feeling of dread and fear with its stark colors and the tagline “Something almost beyond comprehension is happening to a little girl”.
These five horror movie posters are perfect examples of how horror movies can be effectively advertised. Each poster relies on a mix of text and image to create a sinister and unsettling atmosphere that sets the tone of the movie. With the right blend of elements, a horror movie poster can effectively draw viewers in and set the stage for a terrifying experience.