A Modest Proposal Essay is an satirical essay written by Jonathan Swift in 1729 It is a work of political satire that suggest a solution to the famine in Ireland by selling the children of impoverished people to wealthy families as food. The essay seeks to challenge the moral, political and economic status quo of the time. The proposal would shock and enrage the reader, even though his real intent is to draw attention to and create awareness of the political and social chaos caused by the famine and to criticize the indifference of the wealthy classes to the plight of the poor.
The five best examples of essay topics on a Modest Proposal Essay are:
1. Analyze the use of irony and sarcasm in “A Modest Proposal” and explore their efficacy in conveying the author's main argument.
2. Examine the impact of the political, social and economic context of the Ireland in 1729 on the content of “A Modest Proposal”.
3. Discuss the importance of Swift's “A Modest Proposal” in challenging and confronting the status quo of the period.
4. Explore how Swift's use of tone and structure in “A Modest Proposal” contributes to the persuasive power of the essay.
5. Evaluate Swift's suggestion for solving the famine in Ireland in “A Modest Proposal” and analyze how it reflects on the values and norms of the period.