What is a New York Report Essay?
A New York Report essay is an in-depth report-style essay that investigates an issue or phenomenon pertaining to the state of New York It is typically focused around a specific topic, such as the history, culture, economy, environment or politics of the state. It should provide an analysis of the chosen theme, incorporating relevant research and/or data as well as offering informed opinions. It should be written in a clear and concise manner, with evidence used to back up any assertions made.
Five Examples of Interesting Topics for a New York Report Essay
1. Homelessness in New York City: With a large and varied population, New York City contains a high percentage of homeless people and has seen an increase in homelessness despite the efforts of local organisations. This essay could explore the policies and initiatives taken by the state and city governments to combat this issue, as well as social and economic implications for those affected and potential solutions.
2. New York City Immigration: Max Weber’s concept of ‘the cosmopolitan city’ could be used to explore the role that immigration has had in New York City. This essay could look at past and present immigration trends, the cultural contributions of those who have immigrated, and the economic and political effects of immigration in the city.
3. Economic Development in Upstate New York: Economic disparities have long been an issue in the state of New York, and this essay could explore the state’s attempts to support growth in regional areas such as the Catskills, the Adirondacks, and the Hudson Valley. It could look at the successes and failures of regional development initiatives, and consider the socio-economic advancements these have made.
4. Gun Control in New York: The state of New York has some of the strictest gun control laws in the country, and this essay could examine their effects on levels of gun crime. It could discuss the complexities of enforcing these laws, as well as explore the socio-political debates surrounding gun ownership in the state.
5. Preservation of Open Spaces in New York City: New York City is one of the most densely-populated cities in the world, and open spaces such as parks and public squares are becoming increasingly valuable. This essay could look at the importance of preserving these spaces for future generations, as well as exploring efforts to protect them from over-development.