The Handmaid’s Tale Poster is a powerful visual representation of the novel by Margaret Atwood Published in 1985, the novel is set in a fictional future where women have been stripped of their rights and are seen as second-class citizens. In this world, the hierarchy is based on gender, with women relegated to a subservient role in society as “handmaids” and men ruling over them as “Commanders”. The poster features a single woman shrouded in a red cloak and white bonnet, a metaphorical representation of the handmaids in the novel, who have been stripped of their identities and reduced to their reproductive abilities.
The Handmaid’s Tale Poster serves as a powerful reminder of the relevance of this dystopian novel in modern times and is an excellent source of essay topics related to themes of gender inequality and human rights. Here are five of the best essay topics related to the poster:
1. Analyze the symbolism of the handmaid’s costume in The Handmaid’s Tale and discuss its implications in terms of gender inequality.
2. Compare and contrast the treatment of women in The Handmaid’s Tale to the treatment of women in modern society.
3. Discuss how the themes of The Handmaid’s Tale are relevant in today’s world.
4. Analyze the symbolism of the handmaid’s white bonnet and its implications for women's rights.
5. Examine the importance of human rights in The Handmaid’s Tale and how it relates to current global issues.