(up to 150 words each):
American literature constitutes the literature written or produced in the area of the United States and its preceding colonies There are many excellent topics to explore in American literature essays Whether the topic is an analysis of the works of a classic American author like Mark Twain or an exploration of the origins of American literature, some great American literature topics can be derived.
1. The Impact of the Immigration of Non-English Speaking People on American Literature: This topic could explore how the demographic changes in America over the years have impacted its literature. This can include a comparison of the work of authors such as Toni Morrison or Sandra Cisneros with the authors of the late 19th century. Furthermore, it could explore the influence of language changes on the content and themes in literature.
2. The Role of Religion in American Literature: Analyzing how religious beliefs and practices have shaped the literature of the United States can be done in a variety of ways. It could include an examination of how authors such as Melville, Hawthorne, and Twain examine Christianity and spiritual faith in their writing. It could also explore how works of literature provide an opportunity for readers to explore the moral implications of religious beliefs.
3. The Influence of US History on American Literature: US history has had a significant impact on the literature of the United States. It can include an exploration of how the war between the states affected authors such as Walt Whitman, or how the Vietnam War had an influence on the literature of the period. It could also look at American literature’s use of historical figures to explore the idea of national identity.
4. The Nature of American Identity in Literature: There are many different interpretations of what constitutes an American identity. This essay topic could explore how authors have defined and redefined the idea of an American identity. It could include an examination of American literature’s use of characters, themes, and symbols to explore ideas of citizenship and patriotism.
5. The Effects of Race and Class on American Literature: Examining how race, ethnicity, and class have had an impact on the literature of the United States can be done in a variety of ways. It could explore how authors like Zora Neale Hurston and Langston Hughes put race and class at the forefront of their fiction. It could also look at the use of stereotypes in literature and how those stereotypes have been challenged by various authors.