Juvenile justice is a term that is used to describe the handling of young offenders in a legal system Juvenile justice focuses on the rehabilitation of young offenders rather than seeking to punish them. This approach is based on the idea that young people are more likely than adults to make mistakes, but that these mistakes should not define their entire lives.
When writing a juvenile justice essay, the topics you choose may depend on the complexity of the essay you’re writing, as well as your personal interests. Here are five topic ideas for you to consider:
1. The Evolution of Juvenile Justice: This topic looks at the changes that have taken place in the juvenile justice system over the years. Explore why and how the system has evolved, and also discuss how current approaches differ from those used in earlier eras.
2. The Effectiveness of Juvenile Rehabilitation: Here, you would look at how successful juvenile rehabilitation programs are. Examine the approaches that are used, and decide if they are really making a difference in the lives of young offenders.
3. The Debate Over the Age of Juvenile Court Jurisdiction: This topic looks at the debate over when a juvenile should be tried as an adult. Explore both sides of the argument, and draw your own conclusions.
4. The Criminalization of Youth in Schools: This topic looks at the issue of how youth are increasingly being punished with criminal records for minor infractions in school. Discuss the implications of this, and the negative effects it may have.
5. Juvenile Justice and Mental Health: Examine the relationship between mental health and juvenile justice, and delve into why young offenders may need mental health treatment in addition to legal measures.