A Comparative History Thesis is one in which two or more historical events, people, or places are compared and contrasted in terms of how they developed, how they impacted society, and how they were impacted by society Comparative history essays provide insight into how the world has changed and the factors that have led to such changes. This type of essay is especially useful when examining how different cultures have interacted with each other over time.
The following are five examples of great comparative history essay topics:
1. The Impact of the French Revolution on Revolutionary Movements Around the World: This topic explores how France’s successful revolution in 1789 led to similar revolutions in other countries and how those countries’ revolutions differed from the French Revolution.
2. The Spread of Roman Rule: This topic looks at how the Roman Empire went from being a small city-state to one of the world’s largest empires in terms of population and landmass.
3. Comparative Study of the Industrial Revolution in Britain and the United States: This topic examines the similarities and differences between England and America during the Industrial Revolution and how the two nations were impacted by the changes in technology, transportation, and agriculture.
4. The Great Migration: This topic examines how millions of people from Europe, Africa, and Asia left their home countries and moved to the United States and Canada in search of a better life.
5. Comparing World War I and World War II: This topic compares and contrasts the causes, events, and effects of the two global wars, emphasizing the similarities and differences between them.