Street art is a form of visual art that can often be seen on public walls and surfaces in cities and towns around the world This type of art is often used as a form of expression and communication, as it is seen as a way for artists to express themselves without the restrictions of traditional galleries or private ownership. Typically, street art includes graffiti, stencils, art installations, murals and other forms of art that appear on streets and public spaces.
One of the most interesting aspects of street art is its ability to communicate with a wide variety of audiences. This type of art is often seen as a way to break down boundaries and cultural differences, allowing for a more diverse range of perspectives to be seen. By being accessible to people from diverse backgrounds and walks of life, street art provides a platform for messages to be shared in a way that is not limited to certain social class or racial backgrounds.
The five best examples of street art are as follows:
1. Banksy - Banksy is one of the most recognizable names in the street art world. His works often feature satirical images of political and social issues, expressed through image and text. His pieces appear in public spaces around the world, often in unexpected places, such as the West Bank wall in Palestine.
2. ROA - Dutch artist, ROA, is known for creating larger scale murals that feature animals and nature. He focuses on the relationship between man and nature, exploring how the two interact and inform each other. His pieces are often found in abandoned buildings and on the sides of building exteriors.
3. Space Invader - Space Invader is a French artist who is known for creating mosaic images of pixelated aliens in public places around the world. He is one of the first street artists to take a piece from the virtual world and bring it into the real world, making it one of the most recognizable pieces in the street art world.
4. Shepard Fairey - Shepard Fairey is an American street artist who is best known for his iconic ‘Obey’ street art campaign. His pieces often feature a more political message and have become some of the most popular pieces around the world.
5. Swoon - Swoon is an American street artist who focuses on creating large-scale paper cut-outs. Her works often feature themes of social and political content, as well as a focus on everyday moments. She is also known for her collaborative and socially engaged work, which has been seen around the world.
Street art is a powerful form of expression, providing a platform for artists to express themselves in a creative and visual way. It can provide a way for people to come together and share perspectives, regardless of class or background. With the many iconic pieces from Banksy, ROA, Space Invader, Shepard Fairey and Swoon, it is clear that street art is here to stay.